While an air conditioner should be properly maintained, there isn’t much a home owner can do about it. The major maintenance has to be carried out by an expert in air conditioning on Brisbane’s Northside. However, the following tops are essential for every home owner to make sure that their cooling unit stays in mint condition.
Caring for your air conditioner
- Before carrying out any maintenance procedure, make sure you disconnect the power unit. Once that’s done, remove the bezel or the cover of the unit to expose the coils.
- Once the coils are exposed use a cleaning agent specifically designed for cleaning air conditioning coils. These are readily available at any of the hardware stores.
- The work of the cleaner is to remove the odors and also clean deposits which are due to smoke, mildew and dirt. Make sure that you only spray the cleaner n the coil and avoid spraying it onto the wires. Some cleaners are foaming type which normally foam up as soon as they are sprayed onto the coil. Use a dry cloth to wipe away the residue left by the cleaners.
- The filters should be removed and out under running water. Filters should be cleaned on a regular basis. It is often advised to clean the filters on a monthly basis. It’s much easier to clean the filter then to access the coil and have it cleaned with a foaming cleanser.
- If you find the filters emanating a peculiar odor, use a detergent to get rid of the smell.
- Once the filters and the coils are clean replace the cover and leave the unit disconnected for about half an hour or so.
- After that switch on the air conditioner and adjust the settings of the thermostat to the coldest setting. The cool air would sink and cause the warm air to condense over the coils. The condensate would then lift the remaining residue of dirt ad odor and help completely clean the coils.
- Once the indoor coils have been cleaned it’s time to take a look at the outdoor coils. Coils which are normally exposed to rain do not need through cleaning. However coil which are exposed to dust and debris might need a rather thorough cleaning.
- The coils on the outside can be cleaned using a garden hose. This would help get rid of any dirt which has collected over the coils.
- Once that is done, re connect the power and check whether the air conditioner is providing adequate cooling. Despite cleaning if the unit fails to provide cooling, it’s time to call in the experts. An air conditioning service in north Brisbane can help resolve the issue.
- While maintenance is an essential part of caring for your cooling units there are times when you might need to replace the whole unit because it has stopped functioning properly. Make sure you have a detailed talk with the technician to see what they have to say regarding your air conditioner.